Using the rt73usb driver in the current rt2x00 git tree, I couldn't get WEP connections to work. dmesg reported
WEP decrypt failed (ICV)
It associated with the AP alright, but all data packets got dropped (and yes, I used the correct WEP key
I traced it down to being a problem with the size of the skb as it is seen by net/mac80211/wep.cieee80211_wep_decrypt(); the skb always contained 2 bytes too many, making the CRC (ICV) check fail.
I'm sure this function is not the correct place to fix the bug, but I tried to insert the line
skb_trim(skb, skb->len - 2);
at the start of that function, and voila - everything worked (well, at least in managed mode
I hope someone with more insight into the innards of the code will be able to come up with a better fix
Ah, yes, this looks like the patch I needed
It must have been submitted just after I updated my tree, so I missed it.
Sorry for the noise
hehe, no problem. with patches or code suggestions it is better to post them and let me filter out the good ones, that way I can at least see where things are going wrong and it helps me with bugfixing.