RT2870 USB, rt2800usb driver totally silent, rt2870sta works

Live forum: http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=6065

Nakedible

19-04-2010 21:34:17

I have a USB wireless card (inside fit-PC2i) which says this in lsusb
[codeofr4fsi9]
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870 Wireless Adapter
[/codeofr4fsi9]
I am using Debian. If I blacklist rt2800usb and let rt2870sta do its magic, the interface works perfectly in managed mode. But if I blacklist rt2870sta and use rt2800usb, the interface is there and looks good, but never does anything - no scan results, no nothing, not a single packet received. I have tried this with Debian 2.6.32-4 kernel and experimental 2.6.33 kernel. I have also tried this with the firmware in firmware-ralink package (4KB size) and from RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0 package (8KB size). No combinations of those work.

I'll include some details
[codeofr4fsi9]wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:on[/codeofr4fsi9]
[codeofr4fsi9]Wiphy phy0
Band 1:
Capabilities: 0x23f2
HT20/HT40
Static SM Power Save
RX Greenfield
RX HT20 SGI
RX HT40 SGI
TX STBC
RX STBC 3-streams
Max AMSDU length: 7935 bytes
No DSSS/CCK HT40
Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 2 usec (0x04)
HT RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-7, 32
TX unequal modulation not supported
HT TX Max spatial streams: 1
HT TX MCS rate indexes supported may differ
Frequencies:
* 2412 MHz [1] (27.0 dBm)
* 2417 MHz [2] (27.0 dBm)
* 2422 MHz [3] (27.0 dBm)
* 2427 MHz [4] (27.0 dBm)
* 2432 MHz [5] (1.0 dBm)
* 2437 MHz [6] (1.0 dBm)
* 2442 MHz [7] (1.0 dBm)
* 2447 MHz [8] (1.0 dBm)
* 2452 MHz [9] (1.0 dBm)
* 2457 MHz [10] (1.0 dBm)
* 2462 MHz [11] (2.0 dBm)
* 2467 MHz [12] (disabled)
* 2472 MHz [13] (disabled)
* 2484 MHz [14] (disabled)
Bitrates (non-HT):
* 1.0 Mbps
* 2.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
* 5.5 Mbps (short preamble supported)
* 11.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
* 6.0 Mbps
* 9.0 Mbps
* 12.0 Mbps
* 18.0 Mbps
* 24.0 Mbps
* 36.0 Mbps
* 48.0 Mbps
* 54.0 Mbps
max # scan SSIDs: 4
Supported interface modes:
* IBSS
* managed
* AP
* AP/VLAN
* WDS
* monitor
* mesh point
Supported commands:
* new_interface
* set_interface
* new_key
* new_beacon
* new_station
* new_mpath
* set_mesh_params
* set_bss
* authenticate
* associate
* deauthenticate
* disassociate
* join_ibss
* set_wiphy_netns
* connect
* disconnect[/codeofr4fsi9]
[codeofr4fsi9]phy#0
Interface wlan0
ifindex 4
type managed[/codeofr4fsi9]
[codeofr4fsi9]wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr removed
inet addr:192.168.123.1 Bcast:192.168.123.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)[/codeofr4fsi9]

I am trying to get the rt2800usb driver working as the rt2870sta driver seems really ugly and I also need AP mode, which that driver didn't seem to support.

It seems many here have gotten quit a bit further with rt2800usb, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...

Nakedible

23-04-2010 17:05:11

I updated to compat-wireless as of 2010-04-22, and the rt2800usb driver works!

I even managed to get hostapd working in non-encrypted mode - but my WPA2 troubles are only configuration errors.

However, I was unable to get multiple BSSID support working. I can get the primary BSSID added, but adding a second BSSID always fails.

Nakedible

23-04-2010 22:13:33

I updated hostapd from 0.6.10 to 0.7.2 and things worked out a bit better.

I was able to get both WPA2 and WPA working, although for some reason the handshake was only handled once after a hostapd restart - reassociations consistently failed.

Also, I was able to get multiple BSSIDs started in hostapd, but it wasn't without troubles. First of all, I had to change my network card mac address, since it was an odd address. After this, only the BSS that got the original hw address was working and all others were non-functional. Also, beacons were not reliable.

The only reliable setup so far has been just one SSID and no encryption at all.

I will keep on testing...