out of memory
My linux box is like this
Motherboard MSI with AMD Athlon X2 5200
1 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB) on dual channel
Swap area 620 MB
OS Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10
Network Interface is
Bus 003 Device 002 ID 07d13c07 D-Link System Wireless G DWA-110 Adapter
rt driver is downloaded daily like this
Well firstly I started using the standard version of RT73 driver included
in Ubuntu, but using amule I detected a problem, after 5 minutes of work all
connections were closed and I had to restart the network.
So I started using the CVS daily version and I fixed this problem, but now
I found another problem.
Changing the UL/DL rate in amule the system produces a mess and killes a lot
of processes. Investigating this I found in dmesg what you can see in the
Amule developpers say that looks a nic driver problem.
Can you help me?
Thank you so much.
P.S. I posted the same in the Sourceforge Tracker, I don't know if is still useful or not. Sorry if that cause a problem.
Either report this only on sf.net or only the forum. There is no need to do it twice, since that will only divide the discussion making the support only harder.
Ok I will close the Sourceforge tracker right now
After some more crashes I found something more.
The oom isn't exactely related with the rate change but is due to slow rate.
Well, I'll explain. I live in Lima, Perú. Here internet is provided from the unique company operating and the maximum adsl speed you can achieve for home consumer is 1 Mb DL and 200 Kb UL. Only in the last months a new company appeared and is offering 2 Mb for home consumer, but the coverage is still poor.
So, when I use aMule I leave it the whole bandwidth, but if I need to surf internet I need to reduce the bandwidth to aMule, otherwise it is impossible to surf. I reduce the speed to 32 KB UL, 8 KB DL. If I do this on the fly the system crashes in 2 minutes, If I deconnect aMule and change the rate then restart the program the crash occurs in different laps of time, but always occurs.
I realized this between yesterday and today trying different sets.
I attach the dmesg after the last crash occurred during aMule normal work at low rate, without any rate change occurred.
I hope this can help you, please do not esitate to ask me more details or trials, if it can be useful to you, I offer total cooperation to sort this problem.
Mmmhhh.... any news?
Can somebody tell me if it is possible to fix this problem or I have to change the hardware?
Well, the driver is definitely faulting, as no doubt you've seen in the log. I've downloaded your logs and will look at them soon. Unfortunately, I've pretty much blown my time budget for this week, so I hope you can hang in there for a while.
No problem for waiting. The life gives us much more important problem to solve daily.
It is just enough to know that I' m asking for help in the right place and somebody can do something
Thanks a lot
Today I updated rt73 driver to [b1as388hu]rt73-cvs-2009011611[/b1as388hu] and turned on aMule. It is working since 3 hours at slow speed (32 KBs DL, 8 KBs UL) with no problem.
It looks very well!!! I' ll leave it working all the day and night.
Nope!!! No way. The driver still faults....
No solutions. Just letting you know you're still in the queue.
First, my apologies for keeping you swinging in the breeze so long, here.
I've taken another look at your log data, and it looks like there *may* be trouble with frame aggregation. Are you using it (i.e. "iwpriv wlan(whatever) PktAggregate=1")? If so, what happens if you leave it disabled?
Regardless, could you compile, build, and run the failing scenario with debug enabled, grep out the time interval of interest from /var/log/kern.log, and attach a gzipped file of the extract to a posting here?
unfortunately now I' m travelling overseas and I' ll be back home at the end of the month. As soon as I can I will double check about the frame aggregation, but I can say since now that I haven't activate it, I only used standard options in my wireless setup. Anyway I'll double check it.
About debug there is no problem, I can reproduce the scenario 100 %, just please give me info about how to compile the driver in debug mode and how to obtain the debug info.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Enjoy your trip. It'll all still be here when you get back.
The TESTING and README files should have enough info to let you set up a debug configuration.
Getting a log extract is pretty straightforward e.g.[codewla32qy6]egrep 'Feb 8 13:2' /var/log/kern.log|gzip >/tmp/kern.log.gz[/codewla32qy6]should extract all entries made on Feb 8 from 1320 thru 1329 and put the gzipped extract into /tmp/kern.log.gz, which can then be attached to a posting to this thread. If you're familiar with regular expressions, you can get a little fancier than that, though.