YES, IT WORKS! I can use my Geode based fit-pc (http://www.fit-pc.com
) as a bridge between my ethernet based internet to my wireless laptop (core2 duo Hasee)!
Both use the rt73usb module.
The bridge module didn't work, but I did get iptables up and running.
Here's what I needed to do:
1. Compile a git-sources kernel under gentoo for the fit-pc (version 2.6.27-git9), add ip_filter modules and rt2x00 modules.
2. Copy the kernel sources to my laptop and compile for my Ubuntu based laptop
3. Fiddle about until the wireless network started working.
4. Follow the directions on creating a iptable - based bridge since the bridge.ko module didn't work from http://kunxi.org/archives/2007/05/poor-mans-wireless-network
5. Curse, cry do it all 5 times till it started working.
I just want to thank all who contributed to this.