rt2x00.serialmonkey.com

Support forum for the rt2x00 project
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: rt2x00 master mode
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:28 pm 

Hi there,

I have a TP-LINK TL-WN321G 54Mbit (Ralink chipset) USB WiFi adapter and want to make an access point out of my homeserver (running Debian). I've found a similar topic where it was told that master mode is only supported in the latest rt2x00 drivers, so I have compiled the latest kernel (2.6.28-rc5) downloaded from git as described in your GIT Instructions, but it seems it was for nothing. I still can't bring wlan0 into master mode (everything else, repeater, adhoc, managed, monitor works). There is also a device called wmaster0, but I can't ifconfig/iwconfig it nor has it any wireless extension. I spent two days figuring this out without success. I think I tried all available drivers (Ralink official RT2501USB, rt73-k2wrlz (enhanced rt73), Legacy RT73) both with different kernel versions such as 2.4.36, 2.6.27.7 and the latest one available, 2.6.28-rc5 (from git).

What should I do?
Is there any solution (I don't really need any other modes, only master) to get this working?
It's really important for me.

Thanks in advance
stringZ

Post subject: Re: rt2x00 master mode
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

IvD wrote:
After that, you need hostapd with nl80211 support to get the interface into master mode.

Which hostapd version are you using?

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:03 pm 

I tried to compile the latest hostapd according to your AP-mode Howto, but it always says:

Code:
cc -MMD -O2 -Wall -g -DHOSTAPD_DUMP_STATE -I../src -I../src/crypto -I../src/utils -I../src/common -I/usr/src/git/rt2x00/include/net  -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_UNIX -DCONFIG_IAPP -DCONFIG_RSN_PREAUTH -DCONFIG_PEERKEY -DCONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP -DCONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211 -DEAP_MD5 -DEAP_TLS -DEAP_PEAP -DEAP_TTLS -DEAP_MSCHAPv2 -DEAP_GTC -DEAP_SERVER -DEAP_TLS_FUNCS -DPKCS12_FUNCS -DINTERNAL_SHA256 -DCONFIG_NO_FIPS186_2_PRF -DCONFIG_NO_T_PRF -DCONFIG_IPV6   -c -o hostapd.o hostapd.c
hostapd.c: In function `setup_interface':
hostapd.c:1558: error: structure has no member named `ieee80211n'
make: *** [hostapd.o] Error 1

Tried variating the CFLAGS to change include directory...
-I/usr/src/git/rt2x00/include/net
-I/usr/src/git/rt2x00/include
-I/usr/src/git/rt2x00

No success, so I only have a legacy hostapd, 0.3.7-2sarge1, which can't bring the device into master mode.
By the way, why is this so difficult? Why do I need patches like nl80211 and the latest 2.6 kernel?
I thought master mode was a simple mode like any other, e.g. ad-hoc, monitor, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

stringZ wrote:
Code:
cc -MMD -O2 -Wall -g -DHOSTAPD_DUMP_STATE -I../src -I../src/crypto -I../src/utils -I../src/common -I/usr/src/git/rt2x00/include/net  -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_UNIX -DCONFIG_IAPP -DCONFIG_RSN_PREAUTH -DCONFIG_PEERKEY -DCONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP -DCONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211 -DEAP_MD5 -DEAP_TLS -DEAP_PEAP -DEAP_TTLS -DEAP_MSCHAPv2 -DEAP_GTC -DEAP_SERVER -DEAP_TLS_FUNCS -DPKCS12_FUNCS -DINTERNAL_SHA256 -DCONFIG_NO_FIPS186_2_PRF -DCONFIG_NO_T_PRF -DCONFIG_IPV6   -c -o hostapd.o hostapd.c
hostapd.c: In function `setup_interface':
hostapd.c:1558: error: structure has no member named `ieee80211n'
make: *** [hostapd.o] Error 1

Tried variating the CFLAGS to change include directory...
-I/usr/src/git/rt2x00/include/net
-I/usr/src/git/rt2x00/include
-I/usr/src/git/rt2x00

You should ask the hostapd developers for support when you have problems with hostapd.

stringZ wrote:
No success, so I only have a legacy hostapd, 0.3.7-2sarge1, which can't bring the device into master mode.
By the way, why is this so difficult? Why do I need patches like nl80211 and the latest 2.6 kernel?
I thought master mode was a simple mode like any other, e.g. ad-hoc, monitor, etc.

Because master mode is an advanced feature which is far more difficult then the other modes. You need the latest 2.6 kernel because that kernel contains the code that actually supports master mode.

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com