[rt2x00-users] Problems with the in-kernel rt2500pci driver being very slow and unstable

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Tue Oct 6 06:55:23 AEDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:54:34AM +0000, Sven Brauch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first, thank you very much for your answer. I downloaded this patch:
> http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/45970/mbox/ and applied it to a fresh
> 2.6.31 source using the »patch« utility. Then i compiled the kernel using
> genkernel, which completed successfully. After a reboot, my network
> throughput is still very low, about 6 to 15 kb/s, sometimes I can't connect
> and the connection, if once established, is very unstable.

I am using "iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M" most of the time which works very well.
The automatic rate setting seems to work only sometimes and unless you need
fast uplink 11M is probably very good.

> I'm not 100% sure I applied the patch correctly (say, 95%), is there any way to check if i'm
> using the rt2500pci module with the patch applied or the old one?

"uname -a" will tell you which kernel is running and usually it will load
the correct module from /lib/modules/kernel-version/

You could  stick in a custom printk statement somewhere in the sources to be
absolutely sure.

Richard