[rt2x00-users] rt73usb: Master Mode

Robert Peter robert1peter at web.de
Thu Apr 1 15:03:34 UTC 2010

Am 01.04.2010 16:00, schrieb Lee:
> On 01/04/10 15:16, Robert Peter wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have an Ralink RT2501USB adapter (USB id 148f:2573), but this adapter
>> seems not to work in master mode.
>> Whenever I try to bring it into master mode ("iwconfig wlan0 mode
>> master"), I get:
>>
>> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
>> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
>>
>> Ad-Hoc Mode is working just fine.
>>
>> Of course I've searched the forums and web, but I was not able to find
>> any recent information on this topic. Some ~1.5 years old posts say that
>> master mode has been disabled in the driver, some other posts say that
>> one was able to use the adapter successfully in master mode.
>>
>> I tried both Kernel 2.6.31 and most recent 2.6.33.1
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>> Robert
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> AFAIK you can't set master mode in newer kernels by hand. It was
> disabled because you still need hostapd to run a full-blown AP. I got my
> rt73usb running with hostapd 0.6.10. I would try it with that.

Hi Lee!

Oh, I was absolutely not aware of the fact that hostapd is needed to put
the device into master mode (last time I set up an AP was with an old
prism54 card that could be put into master mode using iwconfig). I've
just set up hostapd now - and it works!

Sorry to have bothered you.

Thanks!
Robert