[rt2x00-users] rt73usb driver and laptop power consumption.

Jan Holst Jensen jhje00 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 14:29:20 UTC 2010

Hi.

I am using a USB wireless adapter that came with a D-Link wireless router that I purchased. The adapter is some kind of Ralink device that loads the rt73usb driver in Ubuntu 9.10 and everything works quite nicely.

However, with the USB wireless adapter plugged in my laptop's CPU core temperature rises to 50-51 degrees and the fan runs constantly. Without the driver loaded my laptop CPU stays at at core temperature of 39-40 degrees centrigrade and is quiet.

Checking with 'powertop':

* Without wireless I see around 50-60 wakeups/sec and 97% of the time my CPU is in C3 state.

* With wireless I see 90000 (ninety thousand) wakeups/sec and the CPU is around 50% in C0 (running) and the other 50% in C2. It never reaches C3.

Is there any way of configuring the driver to do less wakeups so the CPU can cool off a bit ?

Kind regards
-- Jan Holst Jensen, Denmark