[rt2x00-users] [rt2x00] rt3070 fails to initialize with rt2800usb

Ivo van Doorn ivdoorn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 16:25:54 UTC 2010


On Monday 19 April 2010, Walter wrote:
> > Thats odd, in compar-wireless, it already contains the
> > lines:
> > 
> > #ifdef CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT30XX
> >     <..snip..>
> >     /* Ralink */
> >     { USB_DEVICE(0x148f, 0x2070),
> > USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },
> >     { USB_DEVICE(0x148f, 0x3070),
> > USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },
> >     { USB_DEVICE(0x148f, 0x3071),
> > USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },
> >     { USB_DEVICE(0x148f, 0x3072),
> > USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },
> >     <..snip..>
> > #endif
> > 
> > So adding the USB ID does not need to be added.
> > 
> > Ivo
> 
> It is odd. I followed exactly the same logic you have, but I'm adamant the module doesn't recognize the VID of card as it is. Lets get factual:
> 
> compat-wireless from March 28th. default install (make && make install) here is the output when the rt2800usb is loaded:
> 
> [21902.553231] Generic kernel compatibility enabled based on linux-next next-20100113
> [21902.596351] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
> [21902.695076] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
> [21902.714019] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
> [21902.714026]     (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
> [21902.714032]     (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
> [21902.714036]     (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
> [21902.714041]     (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
> [21902.714045]     (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
> [21902.714050]     (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
> 
> modinfo rt2800usb |grep 3070 -- returns nothing
> 
> as soon as I add the 148f:rt3070 to: 
> 
>     /* Ralink */
>     { USB_DEVICE(0x148f, 0x2770), USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },
>     { USB_DEVICE(0x148f, 0x2870), USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },
>     { USB_DEVICE(0x148f, 0x3070), USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) }, <--- manually added
>        /* Samsung */
> 
> rt2800usb recognizes the chip and initializes all operations:
> 
> [22310.272382] usb 5-2.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
> [22310.381269] usb 5-2.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> [22310.416482] phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel'
> [22310.417403] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy1::radio
> [22310.417456] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy1::assoc
> [22310.417505] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy1::quality
> [22310.479159] udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to wlan2
> [22310.483779] rt2800usb 5-2.4:1.0: firmware: requesting rt2870.bin
> 
> Now, modinfo rt2800usb |grep 3070 -- shows its OK:
> 
> alias:          usb:v148Fp3070d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
> 
> 
> This is a longstanding bug from at least few months or so,  I thought you were experimenting/adjusting the code and I figured it would be temporary, but it has been so long that I thought I had to report this now.
> 
> Walter.

Just checked the wireless-compat package, but are you sure that the config file contains:
	CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT30XX=y
and not the default:
	# CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT30XX=y

Note the prefixed '#' which should be removed to enable the configuration option.

Ivo




More information about the users mailing list