[rt2x00-users] rt2860 - is it possible to use this chipset nowadays?

Luis Correia buga at loide.net
Tue Jul 6 00:33:07 AEST 2010

Mike,

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 23:34, Mike Edwards <pf-rt2x00 at mirkwood.net> wrote:
> Whoops.  Slight correction - the driver *does* throw the MCU error with
> the ENLWI-N.  I missed it in the logs.
>

> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 06:25:32PM -0400, Mike Edwards babbled thus:
>> On the Linksys WMP600N, rt2800pci appears to fail shortly after loading
>> firmare, throwing the as-yet-unexplained 'MCU request failed, no
>> response from hardware' error.
>>
>> The Encore ENLWI-N doesn't appear to cause rt2800pci to throw this
>> error.  Does this have to do with the WMP600N's 5 GHz radio?

(this will not help you, sorry, but I had to write it anyway)

Since we started the rt2800pci driver a while ago, we did follow all
of the init procedures of the legacy driver, and thouroughly checked
and rechecked all steps.

But in my case, ALL of my rt2860 based adapters fail with the MCU
request error, and we haven't found yet a reason for it.

I've asked Ralink for help with this issue, but so far, no solution
has been provided in order to fix it.

It seems that right after loading up the firmware to the device, it
accepts it with NO errors at all, but the MCU isn't getting waked up
or otherwise started.

This is the error, "MCU request failed".

Apparently, this error does not stop the card from receiving probe
requests and somehow, the RX paths seems to be partially working.

But none of my cards associate at all.

So, in a nutshell, (I) we have no clue on how to fix it, but are
completely open for suggestions.

p.s. please forgive me for any incorrections in this text, English is
not my native language.

Luis Correia
rt2x00 project admin