[rt2x00-users] rt2860 - is it possible to use this chipset nowadays?
epicanis+rt at dogphilosophy.net
Tue Jul 6 08:13:17 AEST 2010
On Monday 05 July 2010 21:17:38 Mike Edwards wrote:
> > But none of my cards associate at all.
> That describes the issue I've been seeing perfectly. MCU error,
> scanning works, association fails.
> > So, in a nutshell, (I) we have no clue on how to fix it, but are
> > completely open for suggestions.
> I have managed to get the official driver to work with WPA/WPA2 after
> several months of fighting with it. Perhaps it's time to take the last
> released version of rt2860sta (184.108.40.206, iirc) apart to see why it can
> wake the hardware up? Unfortunately, my perl knowledge is much better
> than my C, but if I can help in any way, I'll be happy to do so. If I
> have to deal with the official ralink driver for much longer, I think
> I'm going to toss these cards. :P
My EeePC 901 has one of these chipsets internally. "lspci -v" reports:
01:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2860
Subsystem: RaLink Device 2790
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
Memory at fbef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities:  Power Management version 3
Capabilities:  MSI: Enable- Count=1/32 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities:  Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities:  Advanced Error Reporting
Kernel driver in use: rt2860
Kernel modules: rt2860sta
The rt2800pci driver ALMOST works for me. In my case, last time I tried it I
WAS getting association, and I could even get about 10-15 pings to
successfully go through the router to another machine on the network, at which
point the packets would suddenly stop with no apparent error (other than that
lack of packets...) If I dropped the connection and re-opened it, as I
recall, it would do it again (i.e. another 10-12 packets or so and then
Not really "usable" but a sign of possible progress. This was on 2.6.33,
connecting to a WEP (rather than WPA) router.
I'm currently still using the "official" rt2860sta module, but I'm using the one
from the "staging" tree rather than one downloaded off of Ralink;s website.
It seems to work fine apart from an odd quirk of mysteriously dropping
its connection ONCE a few minutes (variable) after first establishing a link.
(Reconnecting a second time works fine and the problem doesn't recur after
that until I power down or reboot...)
More information about the users