[rt2x00-users] rt2860 - is it possible to use this chipset nowadays?

Mike Edwards pf-rt2x00 at mirkwood.net
Tue Jul 6 12:28:53 AEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:13:17PM +0000, SMC babbled thus:
> My EeePC 901 has one of these chipsets internally.  "lspci -v" reports:

<snip>

> The rt2800pci driver ALMOST works for me.  In my case, last time I tried it I
> WAS getting association, and I could even get about 10-15 pings to
> successfully go through the router to another machine on the network, at which
> point the packets would suddenly stop with no apparent error (other than that
> lack of packets...)  If I dropped the connection and re-opened it, as I
> recall, it would do it again (i.e. another 10-12 packets or so and then
> nothing)..
>
> Not really "usable" but a sign of possible progress.  This was on 2.6.33,
> connecting to a WEP (rather than WPA) router.

Timing issue, perhaps?  I noticed the following in common/rtmp_mcu.c in
the official driver:

        RTMP_WRITE_FIRMWARE(pAd, pFirmwareImage, FileLength);

#endif

        /* check if MCU is ready */
        Index = 0;
        do
        {
                if (RTMP_TEST_FLAG(pAd, fRTMP_ADAPTER_NIC_NOT_EXIST))
                        return NDIS_STATUS_FAILURE;

                RTMP_IO_READ32(pAd, PBF_SYS_CTRL, &MacReg);

                if (MacReg & 0x80)
                        break;

                RTMPusecDelay(1000);
        } while (Index++ < 1000);

To be honest, I haven't checked to see if something similar is in
rt2800pci yet.

--

Mike Edwards                    |   If this email address disappears,
Unsolicited advertisments to    |   assume it was spammed to death.  To

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education.
The human mind is our fundamental resource."
  -- John F. Kennedy