[rt2x00-users] rt2860 - is it possible to use this chipset nowadays?

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Fri Jul 9 00:00:59 AEST 2010

On 2010-07-05 4:33 PM, Luis Correia wrote:
> Mike,
>
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 23:34, Mike Edwards <pf-rt2x00 at mirkwood.net> wrote:
>> Whoops.  Slight correction - the driver *does* throw the MCU error with
>> the ENLWI-N.  I missed it in the logs.
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 06:25:32PM -0400, Mike Edwards babbled thus:
>>> On the Linksys WMP600N, rt2800pci appears to fail shortly after loading
>>> firmare, throwing the as-yet-unexplained 'MCU request failed, no
>>> response from hardware' error.
>>>
>>> The Encore ENLWI-N doesn't appear to cause rt2800pci to throw this
>>> error.  Does this have to do with the WMP600N's 5 GHz radio?
>>

> (this will not help you, sorry, but I had to write it anyway)
>
> Since we started the rt2800pci driver a while ago, we did follow all
> of the init procedures of the legacy driver, and thouroughly checked
> and rechecked all steps.
>
> But in my case, ALL of my rt2860 based adapters fail with the MCU
> request error, and we haven't found yet a reason for it.
>
> I've asked Ralink for help with this issue, but so far, no solution
> has been provided in order to fix it.
>
> It seems that right after loading up the firmware to the device, it
> accepts it with NO errors at all, but the MCU isn't getting waked up
> or otherwise started.
>
> This is the error, "MCU request failed".
>
> Apparently, this error does not stop the card from receiving probe
> requests and somehow, the RX paths seems to be partially working.
>
> But none of my cards associate at all.
>

> So, in a nutshell, (I) we have no clue on how to fix it, but are
> completely open for suggestions.
Maybe the code should be changed so that it shuts down the MCU and uses
direct access to the hardware, if MCU access fails.
RT2880 and RT3052 don't even have an MCU, so I think it'd be possible to
just use the hardware without it.
The main limitation I can think of is lack of STA powersave support, but
no powersave is still better than no working hardware ;)

- Felix