[rt2x00-users] Linksys WUSB600N v1 disconnecting from AP

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Jan 8 10:26:51 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 11:13:05PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >         bgscan="simple:30:-45:300"
> ..
> > No Linux distributions today uses this other than ChromeOS, but
> > they should all change to use it.
>
> Maybe wpa_supplicant should be changed to use it by default?

It probably should at some point. I did not want to do it during early
development part of bgscan, but it could now be a reasonable change in
the current development branch (obviously only if the build is
configured to include bgscan). Though, that signal level value is a bit
hardware specific, so -45 may not be ideal for everything. In addition,
the bgscan learn module could be better for many networks.

Though, there is a drawback involved with this, too. In case of a
networks with only a single AP, this would be adding unnecessary
background scanning every 30 or 300 seconds based on signal strength. As
such, enabling the functionality by default is a bit problematic if
there is no mechanism for the user to disable it.