[rt2x00-users] rt61pci using hostapd has stopped receiving packets when using WPA

Denilson Figueiredo de Sá denilsonsa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 06:18:11 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 08:09, Helmut Schaa <helmut.schaa at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 7. Januar 2011 schrieb Denilson Figueiredo de Sá:
>> On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:04:22 -0200, Helmut Schaa
>> <helmut.schaa at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > Since you're using rt61pci just ignore the rt2800* hunks for now.
>>
>> I've just applied the (small) rt2x00mac.c patch, and it seems to work.
>>
>> So... People can either disable hw crypto on buggy kernel versions, or use
>> this patch to fix it, leaving hw crypto on (which should be better, I
>> guess, because it should reduce the CPU load, am I right?).
>
> Ok, thanks. I guess it makes sense to push this patch to 2.6.36 stable then ...
>
> Helmut

Well, I take that back. That patch is half-working. Let me explain:

With just that patch on my desktop, Linux on my notebook could connect
to the Wi-Fi with no problems whatsoever. So, I thought it was working
correctly.

However, today I rebooted on Windows on my notebook, and the
connection was VERY unstable. Windows would stop communicating every
few minutes. So, that patch was not enough to fix all problems.

Then I tried reloading the rt61pci module, this time with nohwcrypt=1.
Windows is now happily connected to the Wi-Fi, with no problems so
far.

Conclusion: that patch is not enough. The only solution so far is to
disable hw crypto.

My environment:
Desktop is Sempron CPU, running 64-bit linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r5 and
hostapd-0.6.9 (hw_mode=g), with a rt61pci card.

Notebook is Core 2 Duo CPU with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.
Dual boot 64-bit linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r5 and 32-bit Windows 7.

--
Denilson Figueiredo de Sá
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil