[rt2x00-users] rt2800 usb crash with hostapd

Olivier Gandit ogandit at sirlan.com
Wed Oct 19 19:44:48 AEDT 2011

Hi Teika,

thank you for your answer.

2011/10/19 Teika Kazura <teika at lavabit.com>:
> Hi, Olivier.
>
> (I'm not a dev.) In general, you have to clarify your device,
> probably with lsusb when you ask a device question.

Bus 002 Device 010: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp.
RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x148f Ralink Technology, Corp.
   idProduct          0x3070 RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
   bcdDevice            1.01
   iManufacturer           1 Ralink
   iProduct                2 802.11 n WLAN
   iSerial                 3 1.0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           67
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
       (Bus Powered)
     MaxPower              450mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           7
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
       iInterface              5 1.0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x05  EP 5 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x06  EP 6 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
   bLength                10
   bDescriptorType         6
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
   (Bus Powered)

> Since this area is rapidly moving, you have to try the latest driver.
> (Developers are not idle. =) Install "compat-wireless" (if your distro
> doesn't provide it, search for that word.) It's drivers included in
> the kernel, but developers distribute it independently so that you
> don't have to use the latest kernel. Try 3.0.x, and if it's
> problematic, ask again.

I've tested it with compat-wireless 3.0.2, same result.
Since it's a custom ARM platform with kernel v 2.6.35.5, I've had to
build the drivers from the source code.
I have noticed the issue is non-blocking, clients can connect with no
problem. Still I can't explain this issue.

> Regards,
> Teika (Teika kazura)

Best regards,

Olivier Gandit