[rt2x00-users] Kernel panic due to rt2x00 driver?

Andreas Hartmann andihartmann at 01019freenet.de
Fri Jul 6 22:03:19 AEST 2012

Alex Jones wrote:
> Hi I'm sometimes experiencing this kernel panic and it appears to
> point to the rt2x00 driver.

Is it this device:
http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/TRENDnet_TEW-664UB_v1

Are you using 802.11n? If not, what else?
AP or STA?

What are you doing exactly at this moment? I'm facing usb problems, too,
with this driver on a smp board.

I easily can force the problem using netperf. Start
	netserver
on a machine a and
	netperf -t [TCP_STREAM|TCP_MAERTS] -H [machine a] -l 200
on the machine with the WLAN-device to be tested.

TCP_STREAM or TCP_MAERTS defines the direction of the data stream (from
a -> WLAN-device machine or WLAN-device machine -> a).

-l indicates how long the data will be transferred (in seconds).

> System is Ubuntu 11.10, Kernel 3.5-rc5
> using a Trendnet TEW-664UB USB wireless device.  I'm far from an
> expert at decyphering kernel panic messages so can you please tell me
> if the bug does indeed lie with the rt2x00 driver, and if this is the
> correct place to be reporting bugs if it is.  Thanks for any help you
> can give.

Quick possible workaround to get it working again until the problem is
fixed (if you do not use the device as AP) maybe:
Go to http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=501 and
search for the rt5572 usb driver (it is the actual driver and seems to
support the rt2870 devices, too - at least I could find your USB-ID in
the code and the firmware rt2870bin is included, too.

If you use this driver, you have to blacklist rt2800usb before. Call
depmod -a and reboot to get rid of rt2800usb in RAM.

Kind regards,
Andreas