[rt2x00-users] New_Ralink_Hardware

Gertjan van Wingerde gwingerde at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 18:43:38 AEDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Burek Pekaric <burek021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have USB wifi dongle which says "Tenda W326U" on its plastic cover, but
> debian wheezy recognized it as:
> "ID 148f:2878 Ralink Technology, Corp."
>
> I tried to do "modprobe rt2800usb" but I didn't get anything with iwconfig
> or ifconfig -a
>
> Also, the strange thing is that usb-devices tells me it's a "storage"
> device? :)
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=03 Prnt=04 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  7 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=148f ProdID=2878 Rev=00.01
> S:  Manufacturer=Ralink
> S:  Product=802.11 n WLAN
> C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=32mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
> Is there any way to make this thing work on my debian machine?
> Thanks in advance.

I *think* this is a dual mode device, in which it initially behaves as
a storage device that contains the drivers (Windoze only
unfortunately). It is then put in wifi mode by the driver.

Under Linux this is achieved by the usb_modeswitch program.
Unfortunately I am away from home during the week, so I can only show
you some examples on how to do this in the weekend. Alternatively you
can google for usb_modeswitch or maybe some debian people can help you
with it.

---
Gertjan