[rt2x00-users] Multi-bss operation issue with rt2x00 and hostapd on rt305x platform

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Mon Nov 26 09:29:40 AEDT 2012

Helmut Schaa <helmut.schaa at googlemail.com> [2012-11-25 22:53:00]:

> > Mind to use different MAC addresses? The rt2800 hw can only be programmed
> > with a MAC address mask that spans the last 3 bits. In your config this
> > would be
>
> Ooops, seems I messed up my mailclient :)
>
> You're using the following MAC addresses for the virtual APs:
>
> bssid=c4:93:00:11:01:88
> bssid=c6:93:00:11:01:89
> bssid=c6:93:00:11:01:8a
>
> rt2800 hw can only be configured to mask the last three bits of the
> programmed MAC addresses. In your case the first MAC differs from the
> other in the first byte. Please try if it works when using the same
> first byte.

Indeed, it was quite suspicious to me also, so I did tried that with the
following MACs:

	bssid=c4:93:00:11:01:88
	bssid=c4:93:00:11:01:89
	bssid=c4:93:00:11:01:90

and it wasn't working for the first two, but now I did what you've suggested
and voilà, it works for all three! :) So the working setup is following:

	bssid=c4:93:00:11:01:88
	bssid=c4:93:00:11:01:89
	bssid=c4:93:00:11:01:8a

I don't see a pattern here, why it didn't worked with :88, :89, :90? Just the
last one :90 was working and :88, :89, :8a works fine. There need to be some
hole/spacing? Thanks a lot!

-- ynezz