[rt2x00-users] RT5572 status (D-Link DWA-160 B2)

LAUKENS Niels Niels.LAUKENS at VRT.BE
Wed Apr 3 23:27:10 AEDT 2013

Hi,

I needed a USB based WiFi adapter, and decided to get the well supported
"D-Link DWA-160", which uses a well-supported Atheros chipset. But after
unpacking, I figured out (the hard way) that "revision" apparently means
"completely new hardware"... So I have a DWA-160 "revision" B2 (USB id
2001:3c1a). Back to square on. </rant>

Apparently[1] this device has a RaLink/MediaTek RT5572 chip onboard, which
isn't yet supported in the mainline kernel. After some snooping around, I
found a thread[2] on this mailing list with a batch of patches to get
support for this chipset in the kernel.

I've tried to apply these patches on my kernel (non-vanilla 3.5.7.6).
Automatically patching with git fails on about every of the 25 patches. My
next attempt was to apply them manually. I've managed to get the kernel to
compile, but it panics on boot, so I've been a bit too liberal in my
adaptations.

Onto which commit/branch/point in time should these patches be applied?

How can I help to get this driver (eventually) in the mainline kernel? I'm
no kernel hacker so I don't think I'll be reprogramming the BBP anytime
soon. I do have 4 x86-based "router platforms" (i.e. Celeron CPU with 6
NICs), each with their DWA-160 WiFi stick, and a working 2.4GHz & 5GHz
WiFi (dd-wrt based), so I can run some more complex tests if these help.

Thanks in advance,
Niels

[1] http://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DWA-160_rev_B1
[2]
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2013
-February/005713.html

*** Disclaimer ***
Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroeporganisatie
Auguste Reyerslaan 52, 1043 Brussel

nv van publiek recht
BTW BE 0244.142.664
RPR Brussel